The best Blog on Art from the Caucasus, contributed and read worldwide + der Schützenpanzer unter den Kunstblogs + + Visuals Virtual Reality Caucasus Style + Net + Tbilisi and beyond

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A lively discussion about the essence of art

"I still don't hear a cogent argument. Saying that I'm archaic isn't a cogent argument. Explain to me how, if the meaning is contextual, if art is a cultural system of signification, and the meaning is in the system, if all that is true, explain to me how my son and I enjoyed the experience of the Assyrian sphinxes at the Met, given that the context, the system of signification, of those sphinxes has been dead for over four thousand years." (Chris Rywalt)
a hot discussion by J.T.Kirkland, Chris Rywalt, Mark Cameron Boyd and Jeffry Cudlin, go on here

No comments:

Post a Comment